Saturday 12 January 2013

Why I Broke Up With The Scale



I have been a slave to my scale for literally as long as I can remember. I can tell you various weights I have been at different points in my life (52 lbs – 5 years old; 82 lbs – 11 years old; 170 lbs – 17 years old; 122 lbs – 20 years old; 198 lbs – 21 years old). It upsets me that memories of fun times from these different stages in my life are fading but these numbers are something it seems I won’t ever forget.



                More often than not, I have let the scale dictate my mood for any given day I’ve stepped on it. Down a pound? Happiest girl ever! Up a pound? What the hell?! I hate myself! I’m not even exaggerating these sentiments. Anytime the scale said I weighed more than the previous time I weighed myself, it literally ruined my day. The sad thing is that I understand why and how weight fluctuates from day-to-day but it still hurt me to see an increase (no matter how minute) on the scale.

                The scale measures your relationship with gravity and that is it. Seriously. That is IT. The scale does not show you how beautiful you are, how your eyes sparkle when you laugh, how your hair shines when the sun hits it just right, how your contagious smile can light up the room, how downright intelligent you are, it does not show how you’ve inspired others, how strong and independent you are, or how wonderful and uniquely special and amazing you are as a human being. 

It’s true, the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That’s it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love. Don’t give the scale more power than it has earned. Take note of the number, then get off the scale and live your life. You are beautiful!” 
– Steve Maraboli

                I’ve made the decision to throw out my scale. I will not be a slave to this machine anymore. I’m not going to let it take another day, another memory away from me. I will not spend another day hating myself because of a NUMBER. Does this mean that I’m not going to care about my health anymore? Of course not! I’m throwing the scale away BECAUSE I care about my health – my mental health, specifically, in this case. I’m not going to spend any more time fretting over the simple task of standing on a square device that spits out a number that tells me if I’ve pooped lately, how much water I’ve drank, if I’m retaining water,  etc. 

                I know that there are people out there reading this blog post right now clutching their beloved scales in their hands thinking, “Are you crazy girl!? How could you be into fitness if you don’t even know what you weigh!? ” I don’t need to know my scale weight to see progress in my fitness level and feelings of wellbeing. I can see progress everyday with any given program I’m doing just by the improvements I’m making (endurance and/or strength gains), how my clothes are fitting and how I feel, in general. I can’t tell you how many times I felt amazing, like I was succeeding in my fitness regimen, just to step on the scale, see a higher-than-expected number, and feel crushed to my core. That’s not going to happen anymore. I am breaking up with the scale once and for all.

                I know that there may be other people reading this blog thinking , “you will take my scale away from me when you pry it from my cold, dead hands! I NEED to know how much I weigh!” And, you know what? That’s fine. If you can have a healthy relationship with the scale, then more power to you. Personally, for my well being, I don’t like having a scale in my house and I feel empowered with it gone. I feel like a lifelong duel I have had with an enemy is finally over and I, my friends, I have won!



0 comments:

Post a Comment